Friday, June 08, 2007

not a spam blog (officially)

does this look like a spam blog to you? well it officially is not. who said so? Google did. that's right, big G. they emailed me this:

Your blog has been reviewed, verified, and cleared for regular use so that
it will no longer appear as potential spam. If you sign out of Blogger and
sign back in again, you should be able to post as normal. Thanks for your
patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

The Blogger Team
yes i'm back. i have not been able to post while my blog was being investigated for spam. Steve Rubel quotes a Microsoft study that states 75% of blogspot blogs are spam. my ramblings are obviously in the other 25%. maybe Google are cracking down on the other ne'er do wells. what is a spam blog i hear you type? according to big G:

As with many powerful tools, blogging services can be both used and abused. The ease of creating and updating webpages with Blogger has made it particularly prone to a form of behavior known as link spamming. Blogs engaged in this behavior are called spam blogs, and can be recognized by their irrelevant, repetitive, or nonsensical text, along with a large number of links, usually all pointing to a single site.

Spam blogs cause various problems, beyond simply wasting a few seconds of your time when you happen to come across one. They can clog up search engines, making it difficult to find real content on the subjects that interest you. They may scrape content from other sites on the web, using other people's writing to make it look as though they have useful information of their own. And if an automated system is creating spam posts at an extremely high rate, it can impact the speed and quality of the service for other, legitimate users..

well posting at an extremely high rate is not something i'm sure i could be accused of, but maybe i will post more soon as am jobless. more on that later. for now i'll leave you with this (anti) spam monty python advert made by Matt Beightol and Tor Pedersen of the academy of or art university in San Fransisco.

No comments: